Monday, July 5, 2010

the least of these?

(JS) One of the verses that really struck KT and I as we discussed this whole notion of adoption was the famous "least of these" verses.

But you know what? I don't know if I've ever thought about "who" the least of these is. So scripture says that those who are hungry, thirsty, homeless, sick, and imprisoned are the least of these. I'd learned about them in Sunday school. I don't generally come in contact with the people described in those verses. But my heart has been telling me that this definition encompasses so much more.

I think it captures those who get ridiculed for the clunker car they drive. For wearing out of style of clothes. For lacking personal hygiene. What hurts me even more than this realization, is that I have taken part in their ridicule. I have laughed at their expense. I've mocked the clothes they wear. I've chuckled at their poor use of language. Well let me be the first to say...

I'm sorry. Forgive me.

The world had me believing that since they never heard the words I said, I wasn't actually hurting anyone. But He hears. He sees the attitude of my heart.

Help me to love. With my actions AND my words. I just hope that one day I hear this.

4 comments:

  1. this really cuts to the core of me tonight. thank you for your transparency and humility. He is using you in more ways than you realize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are awesome. I am so humbled to be able to say that you are my best friend. Thanks for having such a tender heart for the things that move God's heart...

    ReplyDelete
  3. for a second katie, i thought that was jeff responding to my comment. i was like, wow, he doesn't even know me, and i'm his best friend! just kiddin, i love that you guys are truly best friends, and that your hearts are beating as one in this adventure! blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melissa! Thanks so much for your note...it means a lot. And if I keep writing stuff like this, you may end up knowing me better than some of my other friends!

    ReplyDelete