Thursday, July 8, 2010

you either get it, or you don't

(KS) So we've seen all kinds of body language and verbage (good and bad) in response to our big news of adopting a child. From jubilant squeals of delight to utter silence with a look of complete shock. We've heard questions like, "REALLY?" and comments such as, "WOW". One woman even said, in kind of an annoyed voice, "Why Ethiopia?" Then without giving me time to respond she continued, "Why not somewhere in Europe? like Russia, Czechoslovakia or Yugoslavia?"

Okay, I'm not super up with the times, but I'm pretty sure it's not called Czechoslovakia anymore... nor is Yugoslavia a country.

I believe that her question was code for, "why not adopt a little Caucasian baby, like you and your husband?" The answer? Because God is leading us to adopt from Ethiopia. And, I'm super pumped about it! I'm very well aware that we will be a biracial family. And I'm ready to embrace it. If any of you have a problem with different skin colors, yet believe that you'll be spending eternity in heaven, you may want to get over it now... because there will be EVERY kind of nationality and skin color hanging out with you for eternity! God made all of us as unique human beings and it's pretty amazing.

We were at the police station getting fingerprinted last night for the adoption, and I was just hit with the thought that it truly is a miracle that each of us has our own unique fingerprint. I mean seriously. Have you ever thought about how many people there are in the world? Right now there are 7,024,994,285 people (and that number continued to grow as I was writing it down) Each of those people have a different finger print that is unique to just that one person.THAT is amazing! God made each of us in His image, and I believe that He's THE most talented painter, sculpter, and creator.

There's this REALLY old song that I just love. It talks about this very topic... it's called Colored People. What a great reminder that we are ALL part of the human race and how very exciting it is to learn about different cultures/ languages from people all over the world. I'm eager to meet our child that just so happens to have been born on the other side of the world.

Check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9c24_lw_24

It's time to realize that we all just have different tones of melanin in our skin. Think about it...

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog! I love it!!! Keeping your adoption process in our continual prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post! So true:) FOund you on the Yahoo group. www.therogersuz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your comments regarding skin color. We have 3 biological and 2 internationally adopted children. I want to make a t-shirt that says, "God's adopted family is bi-racial, why isn't yours?"

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock it, sister! I love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete