Friday, August 27, 2010

inception and adoption...

(JS) So I just saw Inception yesterday. I'm not really much of a movie guy anymore because they all "have a little poop" in them.

Anyhow, I had read a few reviews and heard it was an intriguing flick. I didn't know what to expect. I was blown away. These kinds of movies are awesome. They are like giant jigsaw puzzles that need put together.

I like puzzles.

What amazes me about the movie is that Cobb (DiCaprio's character) initially wants to live in his dream. There he will find comfort, stability and love. But it's not reality.

So this is where it goes a little deep. As I thought about this movie, I related it to our adoption. How many of us find comfort in our "dreams"? That fictional reality that we create for ourselves? The place where it's predictable, easy. It's a safe distance from the hurt, pain, & poverty in the "real" world.

How many of us don't want to "wake up" to see the reality of what's happening around us? I look back on the first 30+ years of my life and feel like I have been living in a dream. Honestly, sometimes I want to stay there. It would be easier.

In the end Cobb chooses to "wake up". Will we?


1 comment:

  1. Hi I found your blog via blogfrog... Congrats on being in the adoption process for Ethiopia! We brought our daughter home in May of 2009 and are waiting for a referral from Ethiopia again! We're adopting twins this time. We're with Gladney... If you ever have any questions or just want to talk my blog is at www.gfinkfamily.blogspot.com. Our good friend who was a photographer came with us on our last visit to Ethiopia so we have a TON of pics posted of our trip! Cheers!
    J
    www.gfinkfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete