Friday, September 3, 2010

are you ready for some football?

(KS) The people who know me best know that it's no secret that autumn is my favorite season. For all of the disadvantages that are a result of living in a very flat city in northwest Ohio, one thing it has going for it is that we clearly get to experience all four seasons.

Just about the time that I can't stand one more gray day, flowers begin to bloom, and the sun shines through the clouds causing not only the birds to sing but my heart as well. Or just about the time that I can't stand one more 90 degree day with 100% humidity, things begin to cool down. I enjoy each change of season. It's good for the soul.

Hands down though, my favorite season is definitely fall. I love the changing color of the leaves,
 























the dip in the temperature, the sounds of a football game on the television as I make a big pot of soup and glance over at the fire in the fireplace.
























Those of you that know me well also know that I could care less which team is playing, who's winning, which players are in line for the Heisman trophy, or who or what a Big 10 team is! Seriously, I think Jeff has to reteach me each season what the 4 downs mean, what a punt is and how it all works. For being the wife of a huge sports fan, it's pretty sad. Thankfully, Jeff loves me in spite of it.

Anyway, we were hanging out as a fam the other night, and Jeff had a game on ESPN (no matter that it was high school football). I heard the whistles of the refs and my heart seriously skipped a beat. I turned to Jeff and squealed! " YIPPEE, it's football season, isn't it?"

















Part of our family tradition each fall, since I was a little girl, was to go to the local apple orchard,(MacQueens) and pick apples as a family. We've continued this tradition with our own kids.













We climb the trees, pick apples, play frisbee in the orchard, eat the best, freshly baked, still warm donuts and cider in the state and make lots of great memories. I can look back through all of our family albums over the last 16 years of marriage, and each fall there are loads of pictures of us at the apple orchard.

I'm thankful to know the One who made the four seasons possible. The One who created them. I hope that I never overlook the little things that God did for us so that we could not only see His beauty, but behold it.

The time is upon us now. The summer is coming to a close. Our kids start school in a few short days and it's time to enjoy the changing of seasons once again.

















As I look forward to what next year will bring, I'm eager to think that we may be going to MacQueen's next September with 1 or 2 more of our children with us. This is an exciting thought. One that I'm eager for. Hopeful for.

Take the time today to enjoy the little things that make being a child of God so amazing.

1 comment:

  1. I SO LOVE FALL!!!! I grew up in Wisconsin and visits to apple orchards were an annual tradition for my family too! The smell of Fall is in the air! Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the little things. And how exciting it will be to share with our kiddos when we bring them home! FOREVER! :o)

    ReplyDelete