Saturday, November 27, 2010

finding God...

On Tuesday, K-Love radio partnered with World Vision to provide Thanksgiving to those in West Africa who are in the midst of a horrendous drought, which is causing a massive famine. The people are starving to death. I am sickened at the thought.

My heart was breaking into pieces as I listened to the stories of babies, 6 months old, who only weigh 3.5 pounds.

Where is God in all of this?

I was struck by it that night as Jeff and I headed out for a much needed date to grab coffee and dessert at a restaurant here in town. I was just getting off the phone with World Vision,  as I walked past a table with a group of people enjoying their dinner. Nothing wrong with that. I was just struck by the irony of these children starving to death as a man took a big juicy bite of his steak. It literally hit me in the gut. I began to cry, right there in that restaurant on our date night.

Though our baby that we are adopting is not in West Africa, he/she does live in a country where starvation is a very big issue. I pray every night that The Lord will provide for these children who not only desperately need food and shelter, but also a loving home where they can learn about the saving grace of a loving Savior.

On this journey that we are on, I'm slowly learning where to find God amidst all of this pain and suffering. I'm trying to find the right balance of it all. And where we fit into this picture.

It's humbling, to say the least.

We have so much to be thankful for this year. I'm taking the opportunity to hug my kids a little tighter and thank my Father in heaven, from whom all blessings flow.

If you would like to give to the people of West Africa, please visit World Vision's website here.


Psalm 82:4  Rescue the weak and needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked. 

1 comment:

  1. The Lord has continued to open my eyes to the needy throughout this adoption and my heart aches for all those in need, especially the children. I'm excited to share a DTE date with you guys and hope that we can all travel to meet our precious children soon. I'm ready to see what our awesome God has planned for us all.

    Anna Baker
    flbakerbloggers.blogspot.com
    DTE 11/19/2010

    ReplyDelete