Wednesday, November 24, 2010

so much to be thankful for...

Thanksgiving is only 2 days away. I love Thanksgiving. It is one of my favorite holidays. It's a time of year that I reflect on all of the many things that I'm thankful for. My salvation. My amazing husband. 4 amazing children. An opportunity to be a mommy, yet again. Food to eat. Clothes to wear. Warmth. Love. My freedom. The ability to homeschool my kids. Although these are just a few of the many things that I've been blessed with, they are definitely the highlights.

















One of our annual traditions, as of late is a homeschooling turkey feast. This is our 4th year doing it. We've had it at our house the last 2 years, and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy the uzjah. (what's uzjah, you ask? It's a Syrian term that means "chaos, confusion, craziness" my grandfather taught that word to me, as he was Syrian. Sometimes there's just no other term that will suffice)
 























Anyway, our Turkey Feast took place last Monday, and we had a splendid time. There were 27 kids, and 10 moms in attendance.

















 As you can see, we had some pretty amazing Indians and Pilgrims in attendance that day.



































We had some amazing traditional Thanksgiving dishes... turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potato casserole, mandarin orange salad, cranberry jello salad, pumpkin pie, you know, the usual.
























There were some really great crafts.

















And the kids had an opportunity to share something with all of us... whether it was a piano piece, a poem, an art piece, a song. It's was great opportunity for the kids to practice their public speaking/performing skills.














































We read books about the first Thanksgiving and how grateful we are for the very first pilgrims making that amazing journey to America. And how thankful we are for God's faithfulness to provide for the pilgrims through that first year. So many of them died. Yet some survived. And with the help of a few amazing Indians, they were able to flourish.




























































(P.S. Thanks to all of my amazing friends that let me take pictures of their adorable kids, as well as my kiddos, to share.)


No comments:

Post a Comment