Friday, January 7, 2011

smiling for Him

Claire and I were at her piano lesson the other day, and at the end of the lesson her teacher asked her why she's always smiling. "In fact", she said, "everyone in your family smiles. All the time. Even your baby brother... Why is that?"

















Claire of course just smiled. But her teacher asked again, "really, why is is that you all are smiling?" I encouraged Claire to share with her why it is that we do indeed smile.

*A little disclaimer. We aren't ALWAYS smiling. We do have our off moments, hours, and sometimes days. We wouldn't be normal if we didn't.

Now, I have no idea where this sweet teacher's heart is. I don't know if she knows the Lord. I don't know what she believes. But I was excited to answer her question.

It was if she was begging us for an answer.  It reminded me of the verse that I had learned long ago...
1 Peter 3:15 NIV But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.
My sweet 7 year old was a bit timid to respond, although I know that she knew the answer to the question, and she knew what I was hoping she'd say in response to the question. I didn't want to put her on the spot, so I answered for her. "Well," I said, "It's because we have Jesus in our hearts!" What a great moment.  Mrs. H didn't jump up and ask if she could know that same joy, but she did listen. And I'm quite certain that a seed was planted. It was so cool to be a part of that. I love it when we are used by Jesus to share His good news with others! I WANT to be a testimony for Him. He knows that many days I fail... big time. And yet, He's patient with me and gives me another chance, again and again to shine for Him.

We have soo much to smile about. So much to be thankful for.

May that seed that was planted take root and grow. My prayer is that He would send workers into the fields to reap the harvest that has been planted.

May we keep smiling for Jesus!

    2 comments: