Sunday, February 20, 2011

chariots of fire...

Update!!! Just got word that a very generous donor is going to do a matching grant up to $1,000, making it $2,000 for this event!! If you'd like to help us out, scroll down for instructions on donating!!


Blessings!

How many of  you remember this movie? Some of our "younger" friends may not, but it's incredible.

It's a true story about two athletes in the 1924 Olympics: Eric Liddell, a devout Scottish Christian who is running for the glory of God, and Harold Abrahams, an English Jew who is running to overcome prejudice.



















I mentioned last week that I'm running a half marathon. It's interesting to me that this this movie tells the story of these two men who are running for the "glory of God" and to "overcome prejudice". I believe that there is definitely prejudice within the Christian community towards adoption. I'm not exactly sure why, as it's a command straight from the Bible over and over again to "care for the poor and needy, the orphans and widows in distress".

I believe that it's the church that should be stepping up, and clearly the church isn't doing a very good job of it (however momentum is building). My hope is that though our adoption will save only 1 or 2 children from a life of extreme poverty, a lack of the most basic needs, most likely not learning of a loving Savior, or the love of a mom and dad, that through our adoption others will be moved to consider adoption or at the very least be moved to help financially someone else who is adopting. Adoption is part of the great commission, in my humble opinion. And as Christians, we need to step up to the plate.

Already the training has been very difficult, but I realize that there are two things that I will be running in front of. The thought of our child(ren), and the audience of One that has led me to this place.

Apparently, I'm an achiever (according to my husband). When I set out to do something, I do it with all that I am. When I first thought about this half-marathon, I thought it would be a great fundraiser. But as I've trained for this run, I've had to put my trust in The Lord that I'll be able to 1. run it fully and 2. do it without stopping. It's not easy to train when you have to run it on a treadmill due to snow, ice and freezing weather outdoors. I would appreciate a lot of prayer as I train these next 8 weeks... for strength, endurance and the will power to finish the race.

Also, I've been feeling convicted that I should be believing/ trusting that we will have our referral (our picture of our child/children) before I run the race. At this point, it seems like it might take a small miracle for that to happen, as referrals have been few and far between the last few months...but, if I can't believe God for this, where is my faith? It doesn't mean that He will answer this prayer to my liking, but He tells us that the we must have faith in order to please Him. If you could be praying with me for that as well, I'd soo appreciate it.

So now the details.

Half marathon = 13.1 miles.

Yep. You read that right. One. Three. Point one. Lidell ran 400 meters. That's a quarter of a mile.

We're fundraising for each mile that I run. Would you be willing to donate a dollar or two (or five!) per mile?

The run is April 17th. Please click on the "Chip In" button at the upper right of this page. ChipIn will allow you to make a donation via PayPal.

If you live in the area and want to come and support me at the finish line, I would LOVE that!! Thanks for the prayers and the financial support that this will provide in bringing our kids home.

5 comments:

  1. I so wish we could come to the race! I would love to cheer you on as you cross that finish line! We praying for you and believe that God will do great things through you and this race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting Katie. We are continuing to pray for you. Isabelle was saying prayers for you all the other night as you go on this journey where God is leading you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Chariots of Fire!! :) I might be one of those "younger friends" but I totally know the movie! :) LOVE the sponsorship you are doing for your half marathon!!! Truly praying you receive your referral soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure how I got here but I am loving your blog. :) We too are adoption from Ethiopia (about half done with paperwork). It's difficult not to get frustrated with the church for a lack of orphan care and even awareness. But you are right - momentum is growing! I've been burden more than ever to pray for orphans and that the Christian community in the US will step-up.

    As a runner I am feeling your pain in terms of having to train on a treadmill. Probably my favorite thing about living in California is that fact that I can run outside so often. Keep on trucking! It's for such a good cause and there is nothing like the thrill of running through that finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you as you train!! I'm definitely not a runner, but my husband is so I know that training is not easy, but I know you'll run for the glory of God!! Praying the donation come flooding in:)

    ReplyDelete