Friday, March 18, 2011

ramblings of my heart...

Many of you know that I'm training for a half marathon. The count down continues as the race is 4 short weeks away! Jeff and I thought it would be a great idea to use this as a fundraiser for our adoption. Thanks to a very generous person who offered to do a matching grant up to $1,000, many of you wanted to get involved and help support us! The total that we've raised to date is $1,426... with the matching grant, that makes it $2, 426. We feel humbled and oh so blessed by all of you that participated!

Of course, you can still donate to our adoption here as we are still raising funds for when we travel. We're getting closer though... only about $5,000 short of being fully funded!

We are still hopeful that we will be matched with our child before the 1/2 marathon. This is what we are praying for... believing for. I was reading in Romans 4 today about the faith of Abraham. in verse 18 it says,  Even when there was no reason for hope, Abraham kept hoping—believing that he would become the father of many nations. Over the last couple of weeks, with the news coming out of Ethiopia about reducing the adoptions, etc. there was definitely reason to stop hoping... and yet, God calls us to hope, even when all seems lost.

And then in verse 19 it says, And Abraham’s faith did not weaken, even though, at about 100 years of age, he figured his body was as good as dead—and so was Sarah’s womb.
He had every reason to rationalize that clearly God didn't REALLY say that he'd be the father of many nations, did He? 


It goes on to say in verse 20, Abraham never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, his faith grew stronger, and in this he brought glory to God. I LOVE this! His Faith brought God GLORY! That is awesome.


  What a testimony Abraham had...  it then says in verse 21, He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises. 
  
And because of Abraham’s faith, God counted him as righteous.  

And when God counted him as righteous, it wasn’t just for Abraham’s benefit. It was recorded  for our benefit, too, assuring us that God will also count us as righteous if we believe in him, the one who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. 

I am always amazed as I read these verses. It really IS very simple. Our purpose for being on this earth is to bring glory to God. Period. We bring glory to Him, by loving Him, loving others, and having faith.

This journey of adoption definitely isn't easy, but Jesus didn't say life would be easy. And just when I think life is hard... when I think waiting for our referral, waiting to travel and meeting our little one/ones, waiting to bring them home etc, that's when I remember... how much harder it must be for our little one/ones. What difficulties must their young lives already have included? What hardships have they endured? 

I come undone. I'm ashamed at my impatience, my pettiness, my selfishness. 

I am being refined. Although it's not easy, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than where the Lord has me today.

I'm going to keep trusting, keep hoping. I want to bring God glory with my life. And although I fail miserably day after day, I'm so thankful for His forgiveness and new mercies each day.

I think I may post the Scriptures found in Romans 4 on my forehead so that I don't forget. 

Jeff and I are soo eager to see whom the Lord has already handpicked for our family... before the beginning of time. 

And I choose today to have faith in His promises!


3 comments:

  1. I am proud of you, Katie. Great post. Thank God for his word! God is ABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE.THIS.POST!!!!! Your heart is amazing. Your love for God ~ admirable. Your desire to trust in Him ~ inspiring! Here is another verse I cling to throughout this adoption:

    ROMANS 15:13......"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

    May you truly feel HIS joy and peace as you continually choose to love and trust in Him! And may your hope be overflowing........

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post! and I love the point you make about how much more our children in ethiopia must be suffering compared to our "suffering" in waiting. i need to keep that perspective close at hand all the time!

    ReplyDelete