Wednesday, February 22, 2012

you gotta laugh a little...

Here's a little glimpse into the daily life of a (somewhat) normal family that recently went from 4 kids to 6. This is a true story, yet most likely not your story. If there are any similarities to your own life, it is merely coincidence but please laugh along with me, and feel free to comment and reassure me I'm not the only one who has this kind of crazy.

I woke up this morning sick. Yes, I have a very bad head cold. I don't usually get sick, but alas, I'm training for a half marathon and on Monday I ran outside at 6am, underclothed, in 20 degree weather for an hour and a half. Yep. I realize that wasn't smart. I never claimed to be.

Back to my story... I am on day 3 of not feeling so great. I rolled out of bed, dragged myself into the shower, and downstairs to prepare breakfast for my 6 angelic children.

One of my littles (not naming names) pooped in her pants so I changed her, but decided to leave her diaperless under her jammies for a little bit until I could get back upstairs to bathe the 3 littles. There's no sense in wasting a diaper when said child is going to be bathed... plus it's a great opportunity to start the potty training process. (after successfully potty training 3 of my 4 bio kids to date, I have to say I'm TERRIFIED of trying to potty train 2 kiddos at one time). After said child peed her pants (potty training fail), I began the LONG process of bathing the littles. (On a side note, HOW does Katie Davis bathe 13 girls all in one morning??? I can barely get the 3 littles done in 2 hours. She amazes me.)

Anyway, I ran the water, gave the 1st little a sweet bath, got her dressed and began the process of washing the tub for the next kiddo. Why, you ask, am I washing the tub? Well, JUST to be sure that all signs of Giardia are gone... wouldn't want that little bugger to spread to the others. If you don't know what Giardia is, be grateful. but, just to clarify, it's an intestinal parasite that is transmitted through drinking water... very common in underdeveloped countries). And no, you don't need to worry that you're gonna get it... unless you plan on taking a bath right after my child before the tub has been cleaned.

So, I set forth with the task of bleaching the tub, as the other 2 littles are standing behind me EAGER to climb in. After telling them to go read a book for the millionth time, I start to feel wetness on the back of my leg. I start looking around to see how in the world the water from the tub is getting my leg wet, turn around and there behind me are the 2 littles SPRAYING my jeans with the Clorox with Bleach cleaner that I am currently using on the tub. REALLY??!!! I mean not a little wet. We're talking sopping. I frantically look around for a towel to quickly water it down, since it DOES have bleach in it... and I'm wearing one of only 2 pairs of jeans that I own.

I whisk the kids out of the bathroom, finish up washing the tub, and start rinsing it out. This includes turning on the shower head and letting it do the work for me. I turned the water off, then back on to give it one final rinse, except this time I wasn't expecting the shower head to turn on. Well, it did. All over my head. Forget about the fact that I just put product in my hair and it had all dried. Not any more. The one side of my head and shirt were sopping wet.

NOTE: if I was not me, and was someone else watching this on a hidden camera, I'd probably be laughing my pretty little head off. It was funny. But not in the moment.

I get the boys in the tub.... but realize now there is no more hot water. Did I mention that we need a bigger hot water tank now that we have a family of 8. So, they're soaking in luke warm water and I start washing boy #1's hair. Boy #2 says, can I wash my body? All of a sudden, a lightbulb flickered in my head reminding me that boy#2 had an appt. with a doc this morning at, I think, 10am, and it was like 9 something. I RACE down the stairs to check my calendar... glance at the clock, and sure enough the appt was at 10am in West Toledo... this is like a 30 minute drive and it was 9:25.


I fly back up the stairs, start yelling at the bigs to help! help! help! help! clothes are flying...underwear, socks, tshirts and pants. I quickly rinse the kids' hair and empty the tub. Grab some fruit snacks (because all moms know that waiting in a docs' office without snacks with 3 littles is like self torture) and fly out the door.

We got to the doc at 9:55. As I was walking in, I thought about the fact that I had a bleach spot on my rear, one side of my head completely flat from the "shower" I received, and mascara splotches all over my eyes due to operator error while driving. (that should be a law, you know... no applying make up while driving.)

 I love the saying, "Life is a journey, not a destination". My journey is definitely filled with some very colorful moments. One thing I can say for sure... it's never boring.

Sometimes I wonder if The Lord allows these CRAZY moments for me as a blessing.... so that I can sit back after the fact and laugh at myself and the process. So that I can imagine Him laughing right along with me. I'm pretty sure that Jesus has a sense of humor.

So on those days when I feel completely overwhelmed and tired, I pull out my favorite verse:

Isaiah 40:28-31
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.






















And then I realized... I've got the most amazing kids. I've been blessed to be on this journey of life with the greatest partner. We've been given the opportunity to open our home to two children from another country so that we can be their family forever. And I thought... what an honor it is to be a part of all of this. I find myself thanking the Lord for this craziness in my life. Someday when the kids are all grown, I'm sure I'll find myself thinking back to these crazy days and longing for them. So I'll keep moving forward... trying to enjoy the moment, bleach and all, realizing this life is short. As a dear friend reminded me today, this is not our home... it's just a pit stop.

My goal is to laugh more... relax more... and enjoy each moment.

5 comments:

  1. laughing.out.loud.
    not at you though--in commiseration. : )
    love the verses...needed to hear those today!
    you are amazing!
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I really did laugh out loud. Ask my husband, who's sitting behind me at his desk. Thanks for that vision. Your loss was my gain. And, yes, you ARE truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Thanks for the laugh. And yes, I feel your craziness. We have many a day like that in our house (which is why I don't bathe my children much)! ;) Thanks for your insight to laugh, relax and enjoy... something I pray for help with often. You are one amazing Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie - I am laughing like crazy - only because I HEAR YOU and I only have TWO! (however I grew up in a family of six and am praying that God chooses to bless my husband and I with many more...) What a breath of fresh air you are! I enjoy your blog and facebook comments!
    -Becca West, mother of Annamarie (age 2) and Zebidian, (15 months, home from ET Aug 2011)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear! Sounds like an eventful morning. Never a dull moment when you have kiddos...especially 6!

    ReplyDelete